Chef Dez's Grilled Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
These Grilled Bacon Wrapped Meatballs are the perfect answer to having something new coming off of your grill! Whether using these as a starter or a main course you are sure to please even the most discriminating crowd. Ground chuck is the perfect meat for meatballs as it is screaming with beefy flavour – combine this with Lepp’s incredible bacon and you couldn’t ask for a better dish!
Using double pronged skewers will help to keep the bacon on the meatballs and for ease of turning the meat while cooking. Make sure you soak the skewers in water for 24 to 48 hours to prevent them from burning. The side dipping sauce can easily be heated on your side burner. I bring my handheld blender out to the BBQ to puree it, but you could easily puree the sauce first in your food processor or blender and then heat it afterwards.
Happy summer grilling to you!
2 pounds ground chuck
2 large eggs
½ cup fine bread crumbs
¼ cup finely minced onion
2 tbsp finely minced garlic
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
20 strips of Lepp’s double smoked bacon
13 double-pronged skewers, soaked in water for 24 hours minimum, then drained
2 cups strained tomatoes, or tomato sauce
1 cup blueberry jam
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white vinegar
2.5 tsp salt
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and then roll into 39 meatballs – they should each be approximately 1 inch in size.
- Cut the bacon slices in half. Wrap each meatball with a half slice of bacon and skewer immediately to prevent them from becoming unwrapped – place 3 bacon wrapped meatballs in the same direction on each skewer.
- Preheat your BBQ grill over high heat. Grill the meatball skewers to sear the outside of the meatballs – approximately 3-4 minutes on each of the 2 sides of the meatballs (don’t sear the bacon sides yet as it will cause too many flare ups).
- Turn off the burner below the skewers (while keeping other burner(s) on), lower the lid of your BBQ and cook with this indirect heat for approximately 25 minutes while maintaining a 325 degree Fahrenheit temperature on the gauge on the lid of your BBQ. When cooked, the internal temperature of the meatballs should read as 71 degrees Celsius on an instant read thermometer.
- Place the cooked skewers over high heat to sear the 2 bacon sides now until bacon is browned. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- While the skewers are cooking, combine the strained tomatoes, jam, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and Worcestershire in a small pot on the side burner and cook until heated thoroughly, stirring frequently. Puree with a hand blender until smooth.
Makes 39 Meatballs
All ingredients are available at Lepp Farm Market