Chef Dez's Boneless Turkey Roast
Turkey is probably the most popular meal during the holiday season, but for a small group or a regular family meal, a whole turkey can be too much. This Boneless Turkey Roast is the perfect answer. A turkey thigh wrapped up in a turkey breast gives will please all turkey lovers. Wrapping it with Lepp’s special double-smoked bacon not only gives it great flavour, but also helps to protect it from drying out. Serve this with your favourite cranberry sauce.
1 boneless turkey breast, approximately 1kg
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp minced onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 garlic clove, minced
1 boneless turkey thigh, approximately 350g
6 to 8 strips of Lepp’s double-smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the thickest part of the breast in half (without cutting all the way through) to make the breast more consistent in thickness (butterfly cut) and allow the breast to spread out more (have more surface area).
- With the skin-side down, season with salt and pepper, and evenly scatter the onion, sage, and garlic over the breast.
- Remove and discard the skin from the thigh. Lay the thigh on the seasoned breast and then season the thigh with more salt & pepper.
- Starting with the end of the breast, roll up the thigh inside the breast meat to form a football shape, tucking in the parts of the breast that may be sticking out. Season the top of the breast skin with more salt and pepper.
- Lay strips of the bacon lengthwise, side by side, on the top of the roast until it is covered. Carefully tie butcher’s twine every two inches in the opposite direction of the bacon strips, to secure the roast. Then tie one more piece of butcher’s twine lengthwise around the roast (the same direction of the bacon strips).
- Place the tied roast on a rack in a roasting pan and insert an oven proof thermometer. Roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes per pound until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, carefully remove the butcher`s twine, and let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving. Serve with your favourite cranberry sauce and enjoy!
Makes 6 to 8 portions