Garlic Scape Pesto Hummus Dip
1-2 cups garlic scapes
Juice from 1-1 ½ lemons 1 can chickpeas, drained.
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 cups "tender" greens such as spinach, arugula, spicy greens mix
½ cup finely grated parmesan or romano cheese
½ cup pine nuts
- Cut and remove tops from 1-2 cups of scapes and reserve as decorations; cut scapes in 2” lengths.
- Process with olive oil in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add drained chickpeas, lemon juice cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Process until chickpeas are finely ground.
- Add 2-3 cups spinach, spicy greens or arugula, whatever you have. Process until finely ground and well integrated into the sauce.
- Add parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Process until finely ground and well integrated.
- A dip with crunchy vegetables, crackers, or rye crisps
- A a pesto sauce on pasta or as a base sauce on homemade pizza
- A topper, spread on fish or chicken and bake!